Can fly an airplane with an engine
The passengers on a flight from San Francisco to Hawaii got away with the horror again: The plane lost engine parts, but was able to land safely. In the face of such events, we ask ourselves the question: How long can an airplane actually fly if all engines fail?
These aircraft were able to make an emergency landing safely without engines
The longest route to date without functioning engines was flown in 2001 by an Airbus A330, which was en route from Toronto to Lisbon. The colossus glided through the air for a full 19 minutes without any propulsion (the machine had lost fuel since takeoff) and covered around 120 kilometers before it was able to make an emergency landing on a military airfield in the Azores.
The landing was extremely rough, but none of the approximately 300 passengers and flight attendants on board was injured. And do you remember the plane that had to make an emergency landing on the Hudson River in the middle of New York in 2009? Here, too, the engines failed - the reason was a flock of geese that got into the turbines.
Continue reading after the ad
How many kilometers can an airplane fly without engines?
So you don't have to worry that if all engines fail, an aircraft will fall like a stone from the sky. And flight expert Patrick Smith explains to the “Telegraph”: “A total engine failure is about as likely as a flight attendant who offers to polish your shoes.” But it has happened, as the examples above show.
How long an aircraft can fly without engines depends on the altitude and glide ratio, which vary with each type of aircraft. With a glide ratio of 1:10, an aircraft travels ten miles for every mile (approximately 1.6 kilometers) lost in altitude. At an altitude of about ten kilometers, about 100 kilometers can then be flown without a motor drive. For example, this is more than would be necessary to fly from Munich to Innsbruck.
- How can we make 3D printing interesting?
- An allergy also cures asthma
- Who is the scribe of Mahabharat
- When did China and India first contact?
- Which Indian state represents the real India?
- What is the NRC CAB
- Is it good to be judgmental?
- How do you offer excellent customer service
- Who is the greatest hero in the world
- Is murder really immoral
- What are some unitary governments
- What counts as a small town
- Have you ever spread the wrong news
- How do I usually live exceptionally
- What are the characteristics of Gothic fashion
- Who was India's worst prime minister
- What are some learnings from Howdy Modes
- How did Ambani make such a fortune
- What is the future of Narendra Modi
- How to send photos on Facebook
- What is the goal of globalization
- Is Mangalore really cleaner than Mysore
- Why did the Romans drive Jews out of Israel?
- How can you study abroad?
- What are the best Mac exclusive apps
- How much does an A380 cost
- Why are some Americans so insular
- Is motivational speaker a job
- Who makes laws for our state
- Good C developers are rarely why
- How old is the Cuttacks Dussehra Festival
- What freedom do girls get in Pakistan
- What are the most interesting time zones
- How do Bitcoin faucets make money