Why do democrats hate America
AmericaUnited States - we to hate and love you at the same time
The United States is a country we love and hate. In this issue of "From 21" we discuss why our relationship with the USA is not easy.
We watch films and series from Hollywood, American music is up and down here, and we buy what's hot in America right now. The United States is a point of reference for many of us. We love and idealize them. At the same time, we are shocked at how widespread racism is in this country and that a person like Donald Trump could become president there. Why do we have such a split relationship with the United States?
John is 21 years old, has German and US citizenship, lives in Germany and supports the Democratic Party from here. He is committed because he sees an unbelievable need for reform in the country, as he says. He sees problems in the health system, in occupational safety, but also in structural racism.
"The USA is the land of great potential, including great potential that is not yet being fulfilled."
Thilo Kößler knows what it is like to live in the USA and to face the contradictions of the country every day. He is the US correspondent for Deutschlandfunk and has lived in Washington for four and a half years. The huge desert landscapes, the icy Antarctica or the large primeval forests - Thilo is particularly impressed by the diverse landscape.
"I am fascinated by the landscape. It is an incredibly beautiful and incredibly huge country."
But in the past few years, Thilo has also come across a lot of ugly things that have changed his image of the USA quite a bit. "Of course, my image has changed dramatically under the impression of divisions, rifts and frictions."
Where our love-hate relationship to the USA comes from
Eric Fraunholz heads the German-American Institute Saxony and is doing his doctorate in American studies at the University of Leipzig. To understand the origin of our love-hate relationship with the United States, we have to go back to the 15th century - the century when the country "suddenly appeared on the scene". The people were entranced by the idea of America from the start.
"America is a country of ideals, of ideas, it is so incredibly politically and personally charged."
New! You can now reach the Ab21 team via WhatsApp. What are you concerned with? Do you have a topic that we should definitely talk about on the show and on the podcast? Send us a voice message or write to us via WhatsApp:
Important: If you save this number and send us a message, you accept our rules on data protection and, in the case of WhatsApp, the data protection guidelines of WhatsApp.
- Who is protecting Harvey Weinstein
- Why did you move to Dublin
- Can we operate two demat accounts at the same time
- Is reverse aging possible 1
- What are the Beatitudes
- How do I become a doctor's assistant
- Who actually owned the Adidas brand?
- Why is a business case important
- What could possibly come after transhumanism
- How rich people make real friends
- All eyes change color
- What is fundamentalism
- Is Lahore a clean city
- All countries have a day of republic
- Are schizoids depressed
- What does your kitchen look like 1
- Should a gurgling toilet be a cause for concern
- Are you an SM trainee
- What would happen if Poland disappeared?
- What are the benefits of tamarind juice
- What are some options for 1000 investments
- How many nations are there in SAARC
- Why is Subhash Chandra Bose forgotten
- Amitabh Bachchan wears a wig
- Kate Middleton copied the Meghan Markles style
- What is the population of Bengaluru
- Why is CPEC important
- Filtered water is used
- Are pastor and priest the same
- When did the Middle Ages end?
- Is there a creator
- Where can I find colorful jeans
- India is in a recession of the economic crisis