Is it common for osteoporosis to hurt?
Osteoporosis: hip and knee pain as possible symptoms
Osteoporosis can affect the entire skeleton, but bone loss is most common in the spine and hip. In addition to back pain, hip pain is one of the main symptoms of osteoporosis. Osteoporosis-related fractures are also common near the hips - more precisely on the thigh neck. However, it is not just the back and hips that cause problems in osteoporosis; in rare cases, those affected also experience knee pain.
Osteoporosis is often felt in the hip
As well as back pain, hip discomfort can indicate osteopenia or osteoporosis. The problems are usually expressed as pain and restricted mobility, which are reflected, for example, in an uneven gait. As the osteoporosis progresses, the risk of fractures in the hip area increases.
Most often, there is a fracture near the hip joint, more precisely one Femoral neck fracture. In contrast to vertebral injuries caused by osteoporosis, surgery is almost always necessary here. It is not uncommon for hip prostheses to be used to restore stability to the joint. For elderly patients in particular, a fracture of the femoral neck caused by lying down for long periods of time during healing can lead to additional problems, such as pneumonia. To avoid that, Hip protectors can already be used preventivelydesigned to protect the hip in osteoporosis patients in the event of a fall.
Important: Especially if you belong to a risk group - for example, you have passed the menopause or have passed the age of 70 - you should consider osteoporosis if you have hip pain. Because the earlier the diagnosis is made, the easier it is to treat bone loss. A visit to the doctor is then advisable.
He has the option of one Bone density measurement in which weakened X-rays can be used to determine whether the bone has already lost its strength.
Osteoporosis can also cause knee pain
Even though the back and hips are most commonly affected, osteoporosis can also affect the bones in the knee, causing a loss of strength and discomfort. However, the causes of knee pain are very diverse. For example, osteoporosis-related back pain is also a possible trigger for knee pain. The reason for this is the poor posture, which usually arises in patients as a result of the pain. The wrong posture in the back can affect the gait and thus the knees.
- Are you mad at someone
- Are sweet potato peels edible?
- How are laboratory equipment maintained
- What are social relationships good for?
- What does science actually say about evolution?
- Chinese immigrants assimilate well in Australia
- How is the value of Bitcoin increasing
- Is Romania a safe or dangerous country?
- How is IIIT Sonepat Campus
- What is your exact point of view
- What is the greatest weakness of the US infantry
- Is CO2 environmentally friendly
- What exactly was Solomon's seal
- How do Romanians make money
- Is the Apple iPhone a scam
- Why do governments politically invite corruption
- Any ship sinks near the shore
- The oxygen we breathe ages us
- What celebrities started doing porn?
- What causes apathy
- Everyone has sociopathic tendencies
- What's legal in Las Vegas
- What is LGBT in China
- Who does the IQ test question