How do hydrocodone and vicodin differ
HydrocodoneDrug groupsOpioid Hydrocodone is an antitussive and pain reliever active ingredient from the group of opioids that is approved in Switzerland for the treatment of dry coughs. In other countries it is also used for pain management. Hydrocodone is a substrate of CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 and drug interactions are possible. The most common possible adverse effects include fatigue, headache, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Like other opioids, hydrocodone can be addictive, abused as an intoxicant and, especially if overdosed, lead to life-threatening respiratory depression.
synonymous: hydrocodonum, hydrocodoni tartrasPH, hydrocodone tartrate, dihydrocodeinone, hydrocodone bitartrateProducts
Hydrocodone was on the market in Switzerland between 1971 and 2018 in the form of tablets (Hydrocodon Streuli®, out of trade).
In the USA it is available in combination with paracetamol (Vicodin®, generic).Structure and properties
Hydrocodone (C.18H21NO3, Mr = 299.4 g / mol) is found in medicinal products as hydrocodone tartrate (2.5 H2O), a white, crystalline powder that is soluble in water. It is a derivative of codeine that occurs naturally in the milky sap of the opium poppy.
Hydrocodone (ATC R05DA03) is cough-relieving and pain-relieving. The effects are based on the binding of the μ-opioid receptors. Due to the possible side effects, from our point of view it should only be used cautiously and not as the first choice for coughing.
In Switzerland, hydrocodone is only approved for the treatment of dry coughs. In other countries, such as the United States, it is also registered for treating pain.abuse
Like other opioids, hydrocodone can be abused as a euphoric intoxicant. The TV doctor Dr. House is dependent on Vicodin®.dosage
According to the specialist information. The tablets are usually taken two to three times a day with or after meals.Contraindications
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Hydrocodone is transformed by CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 into the active metabolite hydromorphone (e.g. Palladon®) resp. Metabolized to norhydrocodone. Corresponding interactions should be taken into account. Further drug interactions are possible with central depressant drugs, alcohol, expectorants and MAO inhibitors.
The most common possible adverse effects include tiredness, headache, drowsiness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, constipation and sphincter sphincter Oddi. Like other opioids, hydrocodone can be addictive and lead to life-threatening respiratory depression, especially if overdosed.see also
- Medicinal product information (CH)
- Hutchinson M.R., Menelaou A., Foster D.J., Coller J.K., Somogyi A.A. CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 involvement in the primary oxidative metabolism of hydrocodone by human liver microsomes. Br J Clin Pharmacol, 2004, 57 (3), 287-97 Pubmed
- Madadi P. et al. Fatal hydrocodone overdose in a child: pharmacogenetics and drug interactions. Pediatrics, 2010, 126 (4), e986-9 Pubmed
- Nerenberg D.M., Fudin J. Maximum daily dose of hydrocodone. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 2010, 67 (19), 1588-9 Pubmed
- Pharmacopoea Helvetica
- Prommer E. Hydrocodone: does it have a role in palliative care? J Opioid Manag, 2010, 6 (4), 295-9 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on March 5, 2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Christianity reverses everything
- What is an SSC class
- What is the WWII propaganda
- Vancouver real estate is in a bubble
- How can I write a picture poem
- How can I benefit from Hurricane Harvey
- What is the Indian weather department
- How do I get wider hips
- Does wearing glasses help with glaucoma?
- Is the tobacco dependence permanent
- Most of the Jews in Israel are secular
- Did Hitler admire Hinduism
- Narendra Modi is a Hindu extremist
- What is a vehicle registration number
- Is New England a country
- Can Kashmiri Pandits and Dogra Brahmins get married?
- Does the EU have its own military?
- What does the acronym ACS stand for?
- Are Essilor and Crizal the same
- What are the different definitions of ideology
- How many women did Chhatrapati Shivaji have
- What is a mission as a Christian
- What went wrong with Shopko
- Why is Christianity not considered a cult
- Can grant loans to outside parties
- Can a fresh Tata Motors join
- Should I buy UPL shares now?
- Can brain aneurysms ever be fatal
- What should i do this diwali
- Which countries are the least disputed
- British children drinking tea
- Why were Democrats against radical Republicans?
- Let's improve as a society, Indians
- Is the Apple iPhone a scam