How is jewelry pronounced
How do you actually pronounce “accessory” correctly?
From STYLEBOOK | March 15, 2021, 3:02 p.m.
Fashionable terms can be real tongue twisters and are not infrequently pronounced completely wrong. Not only complicated designer names - Vetements, Givenchy, Moschino - are a challenge. Even one or the other everyday word can become a pronunciation trap.
Belts, bags, earrings, hats - all fashion items that ensure that our look gets that certain something. The perfect term for this is the French word “accessory”, which, according to Duden, describes a “fashionable accessory for clothing, for the apartment, for the car, etc.”. But what is the correct pronunciation of “accessory”?
Origin of the word "accessory"
You can hear the word in all imaginable variations: with many s-sounds as “Assesswar”, with a soft s as “Aseswar” or with a hard K-sound as “Aksesswar”. But what is right now? When asked by the German Institute of Humboldt University in Berlin, STYLEBOOK got a clear answer: The word accessory comes from French and is a so-called loan word in the German language. The root form is based on the Latin word accessus back, which means something like "added".
Also interesting: 5 trendy accessories that women should know by now
The correct pronunciation of "accessory"
In German, the French word is wrongly used as the basis for pronunciation and is pronounced with the shelf known among linguists as the "Ka-ze-zi-ko-ku rule": If the consonant c comes before the vowels a, o or u, is he is pronounced like ak. If the c comes before e and i, it is pronounced like a z. In Latin, however, cs are consistently pronounced as k. And because the word 'accessory' is of Latin origin, ccs are pronounced like a k. The correct pronunciation of "accessory" is therefore "Akseswar" (in phonetic transcription: aksɛˈso̯aːɐ̯). "
By the way, accessories are not clothing
In fashion theory, accessories are generally not assigned to clothing, as they are of no use (protection from cold, nudity, environmental influences), but rather are considered pure jewelry. But let's be honest - in any case, fashion is less about use and more about enjoying clothes.
- How did the borders of Africa come about?
- How do I influence people towards me
- What are the reasons for eye pressure
- What makes cancer inoperable
- What are the 6 stages of mitosis
- How old is the language
- Married couples have to live together
- Will social security actually run out?
- How did France become France?
- What is Java literals in simple terms
- What are some historical artifacts
- What is cable sheathing
- How can I afford a Japanese language school?
- What are the best gospel albums
- Whichever skill requires Fortnite or Halo
- Who lives in Tennessee
- What illuminates your soul
- How can India increase its growth rate
- What is Buddhism view of other religions
- What do they eat in Mexico
- Who gave the slogan Do or Die
- Can immigration officers arrest someone?
- Can fly an airplane with an engine
- Bring disease to US schools for immigrants