Should Julian Assange be arrested
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested
(dpa / fs.) The British police arrested Wikileaks founder Julian Assange in the Ecuadorian embassy in London. A video shows how the 47-year-old is pulled into a police bus under protest by several police officers.
Julian Assange has been arrested and removed from the Ecuadorian embassy pic.twitter.com/xGCGMjgVJy- The Independent (@Independent) April 11, 2019
According to the British police, the US has already filed an extradition request. Assange should be brought to a court in London as soon as possible, where this application should be determined, the police said.
Wikileaks fears that the United States will bring Assange to trial because of the disclosure of explosive information and possibly want to put him behind bars for life.
The end of the asylum in the embassy was threatened
Assange had fled to the London embassy of the South American country in June 2012 to avoid his arrest and extradition to Sweden on rape charges. The then left-wing Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa had granted him embassy asylum on humanitarian grounds. The Swedish judiciary later closed its investigation, but Assange fears prosecution in the United States. There he faces trial and possibly life imprisonment for the publication of explosive documents on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The arrest did not come as a complete surprise: it was recently announced that the native Australian would soon lose his asylum in the embassy. Wikileaks announced last Friday night via Twitter, citing “a high-ranking source within the Ecuadorian state” that Assange would be expelled from the embassy “within hours or days”.
The British authorities had also announced that they wanted to arrest him because he had violated bail conditions by escaping to the embassy. The Quito government had long been looking for ways to get rid of Assange. Now, according to the police, the ambassador has invited the officials to pick up Assange.
- Have you ever cheated on an online scammer?
- Why is there London
- Which is better Istanbul or Antalya
- How does the confession work
- What is special about finishing Shas
- What are essential oils made of?
- Which is better infrared or UV rays
- What makes a work of art valuable
- How do I overcome demotivation in studies
- Indian railways has improved
- In which episode does Luffy beat Kuma
- How is Trump for America
- Which comics are considered literature
- What are the characteristics of African leaders?
- What should you never plan in life
- What is the NRC CAB
- What does aperture mean in photography
- What if you are in Nigeria
- Who is against the box-based caveat
- How do I become a professional negotiator
- Are the people in hospice care happy?
- Well worth the UI UX Bootcamp
- What is communist party
- Why is dhanteras in India so special
- What are some typical 1960s movies
- What does a glass jar do
- Which country has the fairest democracy
- Is Narayana Murthy overrated
- How many years can a man live
- Is it possible to stop taking antidepressants?
- What does Pakistan think of Waqar Zaka
- How many secondary schools are there in England?
- What are examples of a business plan
- What is Samagra Savarkar Vangmay