Why is a Range Rover so expensive
Range Rover in the testSo expensive, so luxurious - so Velar!
108750 euros - that is the ambitious price of the Velar First Edition. And at Range Rover it says succinctly: “Most of them have already been sold!” What is so special about this luxury model of the British SUV - apart from the fact that it has almost everything on board that the equipment catalog has to offer? BILD does the test!
It can also be cheaper
Yes, you can also have the Velar cheaper. The entry-level model D180 with the four-cylinder turbodiesel (180 hp) costs from 56,400 euros. For comparison: a Porsche Cayenne Diesel (262 hp) costs at least 70,663 euros and a Mercedes GLE 250 d (204 hp) 54,561 euros.
The Velar shows what is currently possible with Range Rover. The interior is decorated with the finest leather, and a true piano lacquer orgy adorns the dashboard.
It is all the more noticeable that cheap-looking hard plastic buttons in the door save the seat position. Even the ancient key is not Premium-like, but rather a relic from the CD era with its simple push buttons, while BMW distributes smartphone-like devices.
But that was almost the end of the criticism: The cockpit is almost completely stripped of buttons and switches, only two 10.2-inch screens are in the slightly rising center console.
The two screens are complementary to each other: if the navigation is running above, the air conditioning can be regulated below or the music source selected.
The haptic feast continues with the steering wheel: the piano lacquer controls react to light touch, the new head-up display is razor-sharp and the 12.3-inch TFT instrument panel excellently simulates the rev counter and speedometer.
► The noise insulation works in conjunction with the low drag coefficient: inside the Velar it remains very quiet even at high speeds.
The Velar shares the architecture (80 percent made of aluminum) with the Jaguar F-Pace. Nevertheless, the test car still weighs just under 1.9 tonnes. The aluminum chassis has a front axle with double wishbones and an integral link axle at the rear. The whole thing is garnished with air suspension, which lowers the body by 40 millimeters when the doors are opened to make it easier to get in or out. This detail is sure to be well received in the USA. The wheelbase of 2.87 meters also allows for reasonable space. There is room for tall people at the back, only beyond 1.90 meters does it get tight around the head. None of this is at the expense of the trunk - it has a very decent volume of 673 to 1731 liters.
That's how he drives
On the street it still beats 4.80Meter-long Velar is considerable, but without attaining the agility of a Porsche Cayenne. He barely wobbles in the curves, the steering is precise, but too easy and holds back when reporting on the condition of the road surface in English genteel.
Although the Velar is tighter than other Range Rovers, it still rolls smoothly and comfortably. “Intelligent Driveline Dynamics” is being used for the first time in a Range Rover: the system distributes the torque to the respective axle depending on the driving situation - up to 100 percent. On the autobahn, for example, all of the power is directed backwards, but the front axle is not decoupled.
The Velar performs torque vectoring by intervening the brakes on the individual wheels. The Velar also has an active locking differential on the rear axle. The composition of various driving dynamics components is quite agile and gives the Velar a relaxed sovereignty. The 380-horsepower gasoline engine is far from exhausting that, as a supercharged V8 should provide adequate propulsion later. After all, country road speed is reached after 5.7 seconds, the Velar achieves 250 km / h, and Range Rover states 9.4 l / 100 km as the standard average fuel consumption.
Electrified powertrains are still in vain for the Velar, but there has to be room for improvement somewhere.
- Who were the daughters of Adam and Eves
- What is the best professional music headset
- Why is jaywalking a criminal offense in Poland?
- Is Christopher Reeve related to Keanu Reeves
- How strong is Erlang Shen
- Who is the most successful IIT alumni
- What is the suffering of Andhra Pradesh
- Are Essilor and Crizal the same
- How married couples pay bills
- Why South India prefers the BJP Congress
- Who was the CIA chief in Benghazi
- What is a function in math
- What can prevent retinal reading
- What makes Scorpio women angry?
- What is special about the basilica cistern
- Is cynicism slandered too much
- How can one decide for citizenship?
- What are the tax implications for NRI
- What is Rajiv Gandhi famous for?
- Are Lithuanians friendly to immigrants
- Which symbol best represents Gnosticism?
- General Patton was assassinated
- Why is Pakistan creating terrorism in Kashmir
- Do the Chinese want to destroy Japan
- Why has the Canadian flag changed?
- What is the scope of CRM
- Why do states need to obey federal law
- Why do theists ask atheists scientific questions
- Does UK law apply in the US?
- Why do people hate self-criticism
- Why are you socially awkward
- How much does an algorithmic trader earn