What determines our idea of fine art
wild / beautiful
The relationship between humans and animals is as old as humanity itself and couldn't be more ambivalent. Awe and loving care, existential dependence, fear and killing determine the relationship. A peaceful coexistence seems to be possible only through domestication.
Pictures of animals have been around since man's ancestors began drawing on cave walls. Animals are ascribed human characteristics, dogs and cats are protagonists in wise fables, fairy tales and great literature, in films and games. Beloved pets are being pampered as species extinction continues and wreaks havoc across the globe. More and more people stand up against mass and species-appropriate husbandry, but the price still rules in the supermarket. Exotic wild animals are coveted trophies and status symbols. But we often don't know the names of the insects and birds in our own garden.
The animal is a central motif in art history. No other topic seems better suited to exploring the self-image of being human. From drawing and painting to sculpture to photography, video and installation, the exhibition presents a wide range of forms of representation. Based on its own collection and supplemented by important loans, the exhibition shows more than 120 depictions of animals from the 20th and 21st centuries, which provide stimulating, surprising and entertaining information about the multifaceted relationship between humans and animals.
Image: Martin Eder, I sold my devil to the soul (detail), 2018, Ö / L., Courtesy Galerie EIGEN + ART Leipzig / Berlin, Photo: Uwe Walter, Berlin (c) VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn 2021
- Why did you stop riding
- Why is Jio Phone 3 low
- Is the Tulu quota taken into account under OBC
- Can fasting cure type 2 diabetes
- Business is a tough college major
- What is Marxist literary criticism
- Which nations are best at teaching geography
- Why do glowworms glow at night
- What are America's economic problems in 2014
- Why do we need peripheral vision
- Are there atheist theologians nowadays
- When is the truth not true?
- How does a person save electricity
- Japanese tourists are the best educated
- Are India and Pakistan enemies
- Commercial real estate What are 1031 Boersen
- What is the regular GST scheme
- How painful is LASIK after the operation
- Why should Uddhav Thakre become Maharashtras CM
- Are girls after love or money
- Who are the richest real estate investors
- Why is freedom of speech unethical
- Any solution for night vision according to Lasik
- What are some types of military march