Can a vegetarian burger taste really good?
Veggie burgers: healthy meatless hamburgers?
Vegetarian or vegan burgers are increasingly being offered in supermarkets and discounters. The so-called veggie burgers should look like meat cutlets and often supposedly taste like that. The vegetarian patty usually consists of vegetables, nuts, mushrooms or other vegetable meat substitutes. But many new products from the refrigerated shelves often contain questionable ingredients such as a lot of salt, saturated fatty acids, thickeners and flavors. If consumed occasionally, veggie burgers are harmless from the point of view of nutritionists. But consumers should take a close look at the list of ingredients before buying.
Healthy ingredients are lost
Veggie burgers are often industrially processed products: Individual components are extracted from vegetables and reassembled. Manufacturers often only use the protein from the plant. Often little remains of the original ingredients of the vegetable, such as secondary plant substances and vitamins.
Salt, fat and flavors in veggie burgers
Nutritionist Dr. Matthias Riedl criticizes some ingredients that Markt found in a sample in veggie burgers:
- salt: The burgers selected have a relatively high salt content of 1.9 grams per 100 grams, for example, and too much salt in the food can lead to high blood pressure.
- Coconut oil: The manufacturers use coconut oil in three out of four products in the sample. It contains saturated fat, which can raise cholesterol and harden the arteries.
- Additives: The examined veggie burgers contain flavors, flavor enhancers and often also preservatives. They should make the product look and taste similar to meat, but are considered harmful to health.
Alternative to meat
For people who eat a lot of meat, eating meatless burgers can still be an alternative. In many cases, despite the additives they contain, veggie burgers are healthier than processed meat, which contains more saturated fatty acids, cholesterol and carcinogenic substances.
Veggie burger: benefits for animals and the environment
The consumption of vegetarian or vegan hamburger meatballs could reduce the high meat consumption in Germany. In terms of sustainability, the meatless meatballs are therefore recommended, says the Hamburg consumer center. The arguments:
- The production of plant-based products uses less land and water than the production of animal products.
- Plant-based food produces fewer harmful greenhouse gases during production.
- Switching from meat to plant-based foods can help reduce animal suffering and long transport routes and avoid long transport routes.
Meat from the laboratory: food of the future
It is the big issue in the food industry and it unsettles farmers: meat from the laboratory. But does meat taste good from the Petri dish - and is that healthy and ethically okay? more
Fast food the healthy way
Fast food is considered fattening food and increases the risk of diseases such as diabetes. Properly prepared and combined, however, it can be part of a balanced diet. more
How sausage makes you sick
Those who eat a lot of processed meat die earlier. Scientists have proven this in studies. Why is that? And what healthy alternatives are there to sausage? more
This topic in the program:
Market | 09/16/2019 | 8:15 pm
- Why should i use node js
- Which shouldn't be normal in today's society
- What do National Socialists believe
- How can I contribute to my nation
- Where's the best ambulance
- What are some national symbols of Canada
- How can I get an ECNR pass
- Australia will change its flag
- Why isn't mead more popular?
- Why are all these churches being attacked
- Belongs to Kasaragod of Karnataka
- Should we learn Java before Python
- Why is Dubai known as a country
- What is the law of christ
- What is a grade four grenade
- Which factors influence international business?
- West Point Cadets have cell phones
- What is the main Christian value
- Why does our society promote fake celebrities
- Why do communists hate Jordan Peterson
- Why did you stop being a Christian?
- What are the friendliest breeds of cats
- How is the value of Bitcoin increasing
- Why was Israel created