How do news aggregators work
Adding an RSS feed
The RSS Feeds component allows you to place news aggregators on your pages and display various RSS news feeds on your site. RSS (Real Simple Syndication) is a format for delivering the latest news and content. RSS feeds are available on major news agency websites and other websites. Most of the time, these websites also provide instructions on how to use the RSS feeds.
By adding an RSS feed to the pages of your site, you can offer users information that is tailored to their interests. For example, a sporting goods store website could display an RSS feed of the latest sports news and information to its customers.
Before adding the RSS feeds component, you should obtain the RSS feed information from the RSS feed provider. This is usually a URL with the extension .xml or .rss.
Add an RSS feed to a page
In the page view, select the "RSS feeds" tool from the "NOF standard components" toolbox.
2 On the layout, draw a box where you want to place the RSS feed component.
The RSS Feed dialog box appears.
3 Enter the necessary information to subscribe to the RSS feed:
- RSS feed. Enter the address (URL) of the RSS feed in the "RSS feed" field. (You can find this information on the website that offers the RSS feed.)
- Refresh rate. Select the check box if you want the RSS feeds component to check the subscribed RSS feed for new items. You can check the RSS feed for new items at 15, 30, or 60 minute intervals.
- - Proxy URL. The RSS feeds component offers proxy scripts in PHP (xmlfetch.php) and ASP (xmlfetch.asp). These proxy scripts act as a gateway between the location on your website where the news information is displayed and the news aggregators that provide the RSS feed. You do not need to make any direct changes to these scripts, but you do need to know their location. An absolute URL contains the entire web path to the web page, or it contains a web path that starts at the root of the website.
This is an example of an entire web path to a page: http://www.site.com/folder1/page.html. And this is an example of a web path starting at the root of the site: /folder1/page.html. Both links work from any page on the website. It is not important in how many folders the page is stored depending on the root directory.
A relative path contains a web path that depends on the page from which it is accessed.
For example, "../scripts/page.php" only works if the link is accessed from a page that is in a folder on the same level as the script folders.
The default location is "./scripts/xmlfetch.php" or, if you are using ASP, "./scripts/xmlfetch.asp". This indicates that the RSS feed component is on the home page.
If the RSS feed component is on a page other than the home page, the link is:
In both cases you can use the absolute path.
For example, if you publish your website on a hosting platform that supports PHP without creating a separate site folder, you would enter the following path in the text box: http://www.youredomaene.de/scripts/xmlfetch.php.
Replace "Ihredomaene.de" with the name of your domain.
Server Script displays either ASP or PHP, depending on the settings in the Current Site Options dialog box on the General tab. The default XML retrieval script for the language type is uploaded to your web server. The script transfers the .xml data to your website.
4 Customize the appearance of the news feed to suit your site by setting the following options in the Layout field:
- Template. Select how you want the RSS feed information to be displayed from the drop-down list.
· RSS list shows the information in a list.
· RSS tree structure shows the information in a tree structure with expandable elements and traceable links.
- Design. To apply a custom CSS format to the RSS feed, enter the name of the CSS format in the text box or select a style sheet from the drop-down list. For information on creating a custom CSS style for the Component object, see Using Style Sheets with Custom Components.
- Loading message. Enter the message you want to appear while the component retrieves the requested feed. The standard message is "Loading ...".
- Link: Create a text to link to the full report, for example "Read more".
- Show all items. Select this option if you want the RSS feed component to display all of the items in the feed.
- Show links. If you don't check the Show All Items option, enter the number of feed items you want to appear on the page.
- Expand elements. Check this option if you want to expand all feed elements.
- Show logo (for advanced elements). Select this option to display the logo of the organization providing the RSS feed. For example, if you're using a major news agency's RSS feed, the agency's corporate logo will appear in the list of advanced items.
5 Click OK to close the RSS Feed dialog box.
- Which Indian language is closest to Bengali
- How can India occupy POK
- Any ideas for Mother's Day
- Why is Romania not a part of Transylvania?
- Which PayPal scams are you aware of?
- How is life in Powai
- Can seniors get mononucleosis
- Why is MDMA legal in Amsterdam
- Why does Donald Trump look rich
- India is better than China in everything
- What's the ugliest word in your language
- When do we get a Jio TV
- Which country has the most illegal foreigners?
- Married couples have to live together
- How is the team decided
- How was your experience of shower sex
- Why is Mukesh Ambani so angry
- I am a journalist
- Smart people are more motivated
- What kind of animals does horses eat
- How should a true gentleman behave
- Shows the sound wave diffraction
- Which Malaysian Stock to Invest in
- Why do we need a world order