What are circular needles for?
Knitting needles - information on the differences
As you can probably imagine, there is a very large range of needles for knitting. Among other things, they differ in shape, color and material and are suitable for various areas of application. To give the topic a little structure, let's start with the 3 main types of knitting needles.
What types of knitting needles are there?
- Straight knitting needles, also called simple knitting needles
The name suggests it. They are straight and have a so-called stopper or button on one end to keep the knitted piece from slipping off the needle. The classic among the needle types, with which almost anything can be knitted.
- Double pointed needles or double pointed needles
Double pointed needles consist of 4 to 5 knitting needles that are slightly shorter than the straight / simple knitting needles. They are pointed at both ends. They can be shaped into a circle, for example, to make stockings or other tube-like parts such as sleeves
Circular knitting needles are connected to one another with a flexible rope and have short tips. With them you can knit not just one but several stitches in parallel or seamlessly. This is also called circular knitting and makes it possible to make a garment without a seam. Circular knitting is very popular because it is gentle on the joints and tendons. Relief is achieved by the fact that the mass does not weigh on the needle but is distributed over the rope.
There are fixed and interchangeable circular knitting needles in which the needle points and ropes can be exchanged, which means a great deal of flexibility in terms of the variety of knitting.
What does needle size mean and which ones are there?
The diameter of the knitting needle indicates the needle size. Thin needles are suitable for small stitches, thick needles for large ones. There are needle sizes from 1.25 to 20 millimeters. You can tell how thick a needle is by looking at the respective imprint. If you do not find any imprint, a so-called needle measure can help. By the way, on the banderole of the wool it is indicated which needle size you can use. Usually 2, sometimes 3 sizes are possible. For example, you can use BULKY pearl pink heather sizes 5, 5.5 and 6 mm for baby alpaca wool. You can find this information on the respective article page under the item product information.
Beginners knit best with stronger needles because they are easier to grip. The thicker wool is usually easier to work with and you get a result faster.
Which material is the right one for knitting needles?
Metal knitting needles
Usually aluminum, stainless steel or brass is used, some with a nickel coating (attention for allergy sufferers!). Metal needles are particularly hard and robust and also particularly pointed. You can knit quickly with them. Due to their smooth surface, they are particularly popular with tight knitters and are also suitable for fine and fibrous yarns.
Plastic knitting needles
They are light, inexpensive and come in a wide variety of shapes and colors. They also have a relatively smooth surface, are warm to the touch, are stable and flexible.
Wooden knitting needles
They are made from different types of wood. E.g. made of birch wood, olive wood, ebony, violet wood, rosewood, chestnut wood etc. Wooden needles are partly made by machine or by hand and they are available in very different qualities. Many people particularly like the warm feel. The acquisition is usually a bit more expensive.
Bamboo knitting needles
Bamboo is very light, warm, slippery but grippy and flexible and incidentally not wood but grass. The needles can break if the needle size is very small. They are well suited for smooth fibers (e.g. mohair wool, merino wool, cotton).
- Are children dependent on their parents
- Blockchain side chains are still a thing
- Ruby on Rails will become popular again
- What are the 95 counties of Tennessee
- Will Apple stop selling iPads?
- India is not capable of democracy
- What is this means in Chinese
- Do libertarians want a return to feudalism
- What are examples of narcissism
- Why did Hitler not invade Liechtenstein?
- How do Godmen influence society?
- What is the Free State of Bavaria
- What are bad career choices for ENTPs
- What is a thermodynamic system
- Is Narendra Modi good for BJP
- Why have I been having bad dreams lately
- Do you accept Donald Trump's truth?
- How is Japanese
- Is Vladimir Putin a hypocrite
- Why did Queen Isabel fire Columbus
- When will we cure blindness
- What's the best Taiwanese drama
- What is a greater feeling than love
- What nationality was Ingrid Bergman