How do the people of Pakistan see Bangladesh
East Pakistan versus West PakistanShared Country: The war around Bangladesh
When the independent state of Bangladesh was founded on December 16, 1971, the war in divided Pakistan came to an end. After the division of India in 1947, the country consisted of East and West Pakistan. Up to six million people perished in the war for an independent state on the territory of East Pakistan.
In November 1970 a severe storm hit East Pakistan. A hurricane destroys large parts of the country, razes the already sparse infrastructure and kills hundreds of thousands. The country is thrown into chaos in a single day. But it is not just the storm that is responsible for this.
Most East Pakistani people have long lived in poverty because large landowners exploit the peasants. The farmers have to give up 50 percent of their income. The other half is not enough to feed the 50 million or so people in East Pakistan.
About a month after the devastating storm, parliamentary elections are held in December 1970 in Pakistan, for which the Awami League party competes in East Pakistan. Because of the Mountbatten Plan of 1947, both parts of Pakistan are separated from each other, India lies between them, with many more people living in East Pakistan than in the western part of the country.
Plans for a New Independent State
The Awami League wants to split off East Pakistan from West Pakistan, which is more than 1,500 kilometers away, and establish an independent state. When she is elected with 98 percent of all votes in East Pakistan, she wants to put this plan into action, but is met with strict rejection by the Pakistani army chief and President Yahya Khan.
A divided nation at war
Yahya Khan pretends to want to negotiate, but is actually only wasting time to get the West Pakistani army in position. On March 26, 1971, the time had come: with the first shot, a war for the independence of East Pakistan began, which only ended in mid-December 1971 and in which an estimated six million people were killed.
West Pakistan is withdrawing its troops from the eastern part of the country. After the return of the political leaders of the Awami League, the independent state of Bangladesh was founded on December 16, 1971 on the territory of East Pakistan.
You hear in One Hour History:
- Historian Michael Mann explains the complicated relationship between East and West Pakistan after the state was founded in 1947.
- Bangladesh expert Alexander Benatar describes the European relationship with Bangladesh.
- Musician Klaus Voormann organized the "Concert for Bangladesh" in New York's Madison Square Garden in the summer of 1971, with performances by George Harrison and Eric Clapton, among others.
- Max Stille from Netz, Partnership for Development and Justice, reports on coming to terms with the war - both in Bangladesh and Pakistan.
- Deutschlandfunk Nova history expert Matthias von Hellfeld looks back at the eventful history of Bangladesh before and after the state was founded in 1971.
- Deutschlandfunk-Nova reporter Arne Hell describes the beginning of the struggle for the independence of East Pakistan from West Pakistan.
- People with Aspergians experience jealousy
- What motivates you to code
- What if there is no atheism
- What are the liberal denominations of Christianity
- Which company offers Avaya products in the UK?
- How does NDTV survive in India
- What are some stylish clothes for winter
- What is an instinct actually
- Donald Trump was originally a Democrat
- Why is innocence considered a good trait
- Who gave you your first black eye
- What is an argumentative essay
- Why do teenagers love spreading rumors
- What happens when we eat donkey meat
- Everyone has their own ideology
- What happened to EXO at MAMA 2018
- Who named the continent Antarctica
- Why did your eyes water for no reason
- Antenna television is still widespread
- Is it possible to become a masochist?
- Not every city should have a designer
- How do I start a hospice
- What is a social psychological barrier
- How did the English language come about
- Are Instagram sellers trustworthy
- Where are most of the cars made in Canada
- What are the best US tourist attractions
- Why did my eyes change their color
- Can Jehovah's Witnesses play on the stock exchange
- How wrong are messages from Vox Media
- What are some good coding practices
- Is it a bad thing to be a sociopath?
- Are there ugly celebrities