What are the methods of harvesting forests
Rotation time: how long does a tree need to be cut?
„If you want your grandchildren to curse, plant a book, book, book!“Behind this proverb stands the simple realization that a beech tree planted today will only reach the so-called cutting maturity generations later. The forester speaks of the Rotation time, the average time from the establishment of a forest to its harvest.
Table: the age of rotation of the most important tree species
For forest laypeople it is easy to understand, but not immediately clear that a tree goes through certain stages in the course of its life. In particular, hardly anyone is aware of the relationship between maturity and the natural maximum age. Therefore Wald-Prinz.de has put together a table with the most important tree species.
|Tree species||Rotational age|
|Natural maximum age|
|End tree height|
(Coastal douglas fir)
(Summer lime tree)
Find the right time to harvest
The determination of the optimal time of logging is not only of great importance for a forest owner from an economic point of view. Because now it is no longer a matter of removing the weaker trees in the course of periodic thinning measures to maintain the stand. Now it has to be decided when the best and most beautiful trees that have been tended and nurtured for decades are ready to be felled. It is about the "fruits of the labor" and, last but not least, the maximum possible income from the sale of the wood.
Keep an eye on impending depreciation: Not every tree gets better the older it is. Stem rot, discoloration in the wood such as the red heart of the beech, tends to increase with age. From an economic point of view, the point in time will be reached when the wood growth can no longer compensate for the qualitative devaluation of the trunk. Then the tree should be felled. Even if the wood growth slows down due to the age, nothing speaks against felling.
Determinants of age of rotation
Tree species: How fast a tree grows naturally depends primarily on the tree species. Two generations of Douglas fir grow in the same time as a beech tree is ready to be cut.
Location: A vigorous tree species is of no use if the location is unsuitable. Soil type / quality and water supply determine the nutrient supply of a tree. The right amount of light influences photosynthesis, location-specific temperature curves mean longer or shorter growth periods.
Operational objective: If a forest area is to be "converted" because the existing tree species (s) do not match the location, or because other ecological goals are in the foreground, the rotation time is reduced by these operational goals. If the [intlink id = “383 ″ type =“ post “] wood prices [/ intlink] are currently not correct, or if you simply don't have a better alternative to better invest the forest value, you can increase the turnover time.
Short rotation plantations
A forestry peculiarity is represented by short rotation plantations. If the production target only depends on the annual biomass yield, the rotation times are significantly shorter. In these short rotation plantations, mostly for energy wood production, only fast-growing tree species such as poplar or willow are used. These stocks are already driven off after 3 to 10 years.
Cycle time reached? No clear cutting necessary!
When the rotation time is reached, this does not necessarily have to be equated with clear-cutting. Clearing is associated with many negative side effects. Decreasing water storage capacity, degradation of the humus layer, elimination of shade providers for shade-loving tree species, etc. speak clearly against this harvesting method. A clearing of the forest can be done by specific cut forms (umbrella cut, femel cut, hole cut, hem cut). By loosening up the existing structure, light comes back onto the ground - the best prerequisite for inexpensive and ecologically sensible natural regeneration.
- Patty Wagstaff is the best female pilot ever
- Can hypnosis cure post-traumatic stress disorder
- Why do people not accept spirituality so easily
- Indian democracy is threatened
- What was your favorite snack when you were growing up
- Why was Cyrus Mistry removed
- Where does the concept of religion come from?
- Is democracy compatible or incompatible with Islam
- Why does money rule society?
- Who was India's worst prime minister
- Why is Alcoa stock falling
- How is Zakir Khan doing in real life
- Alberta can become independent
- What is Mozart's best symphony
- How many real Twitter users are there
- How does a fascist government work
- Narendra Modi is an aggressive prime minister
- How did Andrew Yang make his money
- What's going on in a cult
- Why don't more schools teach programming?
- What is an alternative to buckwheat flour
- How can I make my legs stronger?
- Why do so many liberals hate success
- What is the use of sin
- Can marriage work after the betrayal
- Did Donald Trump's election by Obama fail?
- What is a hypothetical situation
- What is Spicemax in SpiceJet
- What is the Muslim population of Uttar Pradesh
- How do older browsers handle HTML5 elements
- What's the best about testing tools
- Is Donald Trump a godly man
- How is titanium used today
- Will an NPD ever kill