Why there is a liquidity crisis in India
Shadow banking crisis hits India's auto sales
July 30, 2019 - In India, auto sales fell 17.5% year-on-year in June - already the eighth month of falling sales - triggered primarily by the shadow banking liquidity crisis.
Non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) - also known as shadow banks - have been under pressure since last year when Mumbai-based Infrastructure Leasing & Finance Services defaulted. The IL&FS default of 4.5 billion rupees ($ 65.4 million) had a domino effect on the entire shadow banking sector, triggering a surge in borrowing costs and an increase in pressure on the retail auto sector.
The State Bank of India (SBI) has tightened lending terms dramatically for auto dealerships. In March the SBI halted lending to dealers unless they provided between 25 per cent and 50 per cent collateral.
SBI’s loan exposure in the retail auto market was 718.8bn rupees ($ 10.4bn) at the end of March, according to regulatory filings.
Automaker Maruti Suzuki, which dominates with a 50 per cent market share, saw sales fall by 15.3 per cent in June to 114,861 units compared to the same month in 2018.
Both Maruti Suzuki India and Mahindra and Mahindra have announced temporary factory closures to reduce mounting stocks at their dealerships as well as factories.
- Why is celebrating Diwali popular in America?
- In general, women are meaner than men
- Why do people celebrate Mahaveer Jayanti
- How is a nose piercing performed?
- Why are there so many mainstream rappers?
- Who is faster Tech N9ne or Eminem
- How can I get 85 points in PTE
- Is Benin under Biafra
- Why is tourism in Russia so undeveloped
- What is the best interview advice you have
- Is India really a unified country?
- How much does a 1 carat ring cost
- What are some healthy hearty snacks
- What is the full form of ISI
- How did Japan get the name Japan
- Do pilots have to speak any languages?
- How can we say respond in Telugu
- What happens when we eat donkey meat
- Can an online doctor write a prescription
- The US government owns the people
- Why will BJP lose in the 2019 elections
- Depression changes your intelligence
- Horses were the original self-driving car
- Why are modules used in Python