What causes blind spots
Blind spots in the field of vision
Blind spots in the field of vision are an indication of glaucoma, also known as glaucoma. This is pointed out by the professional association of ophthalmologists in Germany (BVA). Since the eyes can easily compensate for the failures, the warning signs are often only recognized late. How to recognize glaucoma.
Changes in the field of view are usually not noticed
Vision is a complex process in which the brain assembles the information it receives from the eye into a complete picture. This information processing works so well that errors in the eye and the brain are compensated for for a long time, says the BVA. This creates the deceptive impression of a complete image, even if the optic nerve has already been damaged. An object approaching from the side could suddenly appear "out of nowhere" in the central field of vision. In addition, it often happens that you stumble or not see when the neighbor waves to you.
Since the patient - apart from a few exceptional cases - also has no pain, the "blind spots" in the visual field resulting from glaucoma are often only recognized when a large part of the optic nerve has already been irreversibly destroyed. Those affected can go blind.
Rings around light sources are the first symptom
In glaucoma, also known as glaucoma, the cells of the optic nerve gradually die off. The visual impairments cannot be reversed. The disease can only be stopped. The causes are manifold. Too high intraocular pressure often plays an important role. Those affected often see rings around light sources as the first symptom.
From 40 to the ophthalmologist regularly
With an early diagnosis examination, the ophthalmologist can make the diagnosis before the eyesight suffers. The BVA explains that the loss of vision can be effectively prevented with eye drops, laser surgery or an operation. Since glaucoma occurs more frequently with increasing age, ophthalmologists recommend early detection to all people aged 40 and over - even earlier if there is a family predisposition.
The early diagnosis examination is painless and includes an optic nerve check in combination with the measurement of the intraocular pressure and possibly further examinations. It costs between 15 and 30 euros and is only covered by the health insurance company if there is an increased risk of illness.
Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.
- How do banks verify signatures on checks
- What do Israelis think of the Kurds?
- Why do we call Naxalites Naxalites
- What is your favorite thirukkural
- What was the Roman Empire known for?
- What is the current status of Pakistan
- How would you remember Manohar Parrikar
- What is the procedure for exporting grain
- Why and how do BCAA preparations work
- What qualifies a politician as a populist
- What causes strabismus in adults
- Is Palestine a forgotten land
- Who plays the iCarly theme song
- Which guys wear pants for comfort
- What is an AAC Honey Badger PDW
- Who is strong Pakistan or India
- What does Annyeong mean in K Pop
- What did Paul Manafort do wrong
- What is Rajiv Gandhi famous for?
- What is Floating IP F5
- Racism is emerging in India
- What are dividend yield funds
- What is the strangest cookware
- How do I write a complaint