It rains a lot in Australia
The colors have the following meanings:
less than 20 rainy days
20 to 40 rainy days
40 to 80 rainy days
80 to 120 rainy days
120 to 160 rainy days
more than 160 rainy days
The average annual rainfall of 46 mm varies greatly from year to year and is unevenly distributed across the country. The driest area is around Lake Eyre with less than 125 mm of rainfall per year. The wettest areas are the tropical northeast and southwest of Tasmania.
Much of the land, nearly 70 percent, is arid or semi-arid, and much of the interior is unsuitable for settlement. Desert areas take up around 20 percent of the mainland. Over a third of the continent is desert-like because of the low rainfall.
But Australia also has well-irrigated fertile areas and landscapes rich in vegetation near the coasts, where the population centers are also located. The climate there ranges from humid tropical zones in the far north to warm and temperate areas on the coasts in the east and west to cooler areas in the southeast and Tasmania. Everywhere in Australia, the summers are warm, the winters relatively mild, and it rarely snows in areas where most of the population lives.
The Murray and Darling rivers, the longest river system in Australia, form a basin with an area of over one million km², which is 14 percent of the area of the continent. Lake Eyre is a large salt lake with an area of 9000 km² inland, which is dry for a long time each year.
Current weather data
The climatic zones of Australia
Long-term mean temperature distribution
Australia's vegetation zones and the drought problem
The most suitable travel times for the different regions of Australia
Regional climates in Adelaide, Alice Springs, Brisbane, Cairns, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
We look forward to your suggestions for updates and enhancements to this page.
Our editorial team invests a lot of time in research to keep the contents of AUSTRALIEN-INFO.DE up-to-date, clear and correct. Nevertheless, it cannot be ruled out that the content of this page is not updated daily.
You can help us: Do you have any suggestions for updating or adding to the information on this page? Is there an important reference to other sources of information missing (Internet links, literature, etc.)? Please click here and send us your information. Many thanks in advance.
- Does Volvo manufacture its cars in India
- What is Kothimbir in Marathi
- The term white fragility is inherently racist
- What motivating speakers do
- Why did fascism arise in Germany?
- Why is the tech industry on the left
- How did you get over being socially awkward?
- What is China's 100 year plan
- Why don't the Telugu people vote for BJP
- How does a man act in love
- Are liberals and conservatives political bigots
- How did Suleiman die
- Who wrote the Indian law
- What is Wanderbote
- Why should the state tax inherit money?
- Do animals get PTSD
- Does the military ever use silenced weapons
- What advice would you give the students
- What does humiliation do to a person
- Is there a Malay version of Quora
- Where can I eat cheaply in Zurich?
- How good are eye prostheses
- What is the most famous code ever written
- What Are Some of the Best Business Inspirational Books
- Does hot sauce ever go bad
- What is Trump's overall political strategy
- How do premature babies react when they are touched
- What is business organization
- Will social security actually run out?
- Why do we have US national debt
- One government can own another government
- How relevant is Rabindranath Tagore today
- Which canid species can climb trees