How good is our Lord Jesus
Letters of St. John of God to Gutiérrez Lasso
First letter to Gutiérrez Lasso
Second letter to Gutiérrez Lasso
First letter of St. John of God to Gutierrez Lasso
1. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and our Lady, the Immaculate Virgin Mary. God is preferred to all things in this world. Amen, Jesus. God protect you, Gutierrez Lasso, my brother in Jesus Christ, you, your family and whoever pleases God. Amen, Jesus.
2. This letter is intended to inform you that, thank God, I arrived safely and that I brought more than 50 ducats with me. With what you have there and with what I got, I believe we will bring together about 100 ducats. When I got back here, I tried to get around 30 ducats or more, because everything is still too little. After all, I have to look after more than 150 people; although it is God who keeps them alive every day. So if you can get a lot more with the 25 ducats that you still have there, know that everything is necessary. However, if it cannot be, then do not worry about it. Send to me all the poor injured people you have with you.
3. Send me the 25 ducats soon, because I owe these and much more, and my creditors are already waiting impatiently. As a sign, I use a linen bag that I gave you one evening when we were both walking in your orange grove. I hope in our Lord Jesus Christ that one day you will be able to stroll in the heavenly garden.
4. The messenger was in a great hurry, so I couldn't spend any time on the letter; besides, I have so much work that I don't even have time to slowly pray a creed.
5. For the love of our Lord Jesus Christ, send the money accurately and reliably, because I need it urgently. For the sake of the love of our Lord Jesus Christ, greet and recommend me to the noble, virtuous and generous slave of our Lord Jesus Christ, your wife, who works so hard in the service of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Immaculate Virgin Mary, and for love For God's sake you too, Gutierrez Lasso, serve her husband and slave of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen, Jesus.
6. You should also greet your son, the archdeacon, who was with me and asked for this blessed alms, who is the least slave of our Lord Jesus Christ and the Immaculate Virgin Mary, always eager to serve and please him, ours Lord Jesus Christ and his blessed Mother, the Virgin Mary, our Lady.
Tell him to write to me soon with God's help.
7. Write to me too, good nobleman and brother in Jesus Christ. Greet your sons and daughters and all you may greet. In Malaga you are to greet the bishop and tell him about me and all the others you would like to greet and whom you see; for I am obliged to pray for everyone.
8. As for your son, the good nobleman - I believe it is the older one - do what is God's will. May it be our Lord Jesus Christ who guides and directs things, works and deeds. It seems to me that if God wants it, it would be better to marry him off soon if he desires to get married. Even if I tell you as soon as possible, you shouldn't worry about that, because all your restlessness should be directed towards asking God to give him a good wife, because he is still very young now.
According to the goodness of our Lord Jesus Christ, however, he had already matured in wisdom.
9. Everyone must choose the class that God assigns them. The fathers and mothers should not worry too much about it now, but ask God to give the children the status of grace, just as he pleases.
One will get married, another will read mass. And so I say that I don't know anything, but that it is God who knows everything.
10. May the Lord Jesus Christ grant your wishes in the way that He, our Lord, will be most served. He alone knows better what to do with your sons and daughters. And everything that our Lord does, you should take as given, as something good.
11. Let us confess our sins and therefore repent, because all good that people do is not theirs, but God's merit.
God be the glory and the glory, for all is his. Amen, Jesus.
May it please our Lord Jesus Christ that everything you do and everything your sons and daughters do be for the service of our Lord Jesus Christ and our Mistress, the Virgin Mary.
May our Lord Jesus Christ not allow you to do something that displeases him.
12. Your little brother John of God, who, if God decrees, wants to die, but always wants to remain silent and trust in God, and who longs for the salvation of all like his own. Amen, Jesus.
Download the letters to Gutiérrez Lasso
Second letter of St. John of God to Gutierrez Lasso
1. This letter is to be presented to the noble, virtuous and generous knight of our Lord Jesus Christ, Gutierrez Lasso, the slave of our Lord Jesus, always anxious to serve him. Amen, Jesus.
2. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and our Lady, the Immaculate Virgin Mary. God is preferred to all things in this world. Amen, Jesus. God be with you, my beloved brother in the Lord Jesus.
3. This present letter is intended to let you know the great worry and distress I am in; Thanks be to our Lord Jesus Christ for all of this; for you should know, my dearly beloved brother in Jesus Christ, that there are very many of the poor who come here, so that I myself am often amazed how they can be preserved.
4. But our Lord Jesus Christ takes care of everything and gives us to eat; since 7 or 8 reals a day have to be spent on wood alone, and since this city is very big and very cold, especially now in winter, the poor who come to this house of God are numerous; in total - sick and healthy, including helpers and pilgrims - there are more than one hundred and ten.
5. Since this is a house for everyone, all types of sick are received and all types of people are received. There are therefore disabled, injured, lepers, mute, crazy, paralyzed, scabies, very old people and many children; in addition, many pilgrims and travelers whose path leads to us. They are given fire, water, salt and cookware to prepare their meals.
6. You don't have to pay anything for any of this, but our Lord Jesus Christ takes care of everything; there is not a day on which it does not take four and a half and sometimes five ducats to supply the house; all of this for bread, meat, poultry and wood alone, without including the extra expenses for medicine and clothing.
7. On days when the handout is insufficient to cover all expenses, I take money to borrow, and on other days it is fasted.
And so I worry about Jesus Christ here alone, because I owe more than 200 ducats in expenses for shirts, coats, shoes, sheets, blankets and many other things that are necessary in this house of God, and also for the upbringing of the children that we are left here.
8. Therefore, my beloved brother in Christ Jesus, since I see myself in such need, I often don't even dare to leave the house because of the debts that oppress me while I am so sick, my brothers and neighbors are in need. In various torments of body and soul, I get into great sadness because I cannot help them. Nevertheless, I put my trust in Christ Jesus that he will free me from my debts, for he alone knows my heart.
9. And so I say to you: Cursed be the person who places his trust in people and not in Jesus Christ, because sooner or later you will be abandoned by people. Jesus Christ alone is faithful forever: he alone foresees everything, thank him for ever and ever. Amen, Jesus.
10. My beloved brother in Christ Jesus: I wanted to tell you about my hardships and hardships because I know that they worry you, just as I would take care of your sufferings. I know that you love our Lord Jesus and feel the pain of his children, the poor; therefore I tell you about these worries and needs of hers and mine.
11. We put everything on one card, although everyone goes his own way, just as God pleases and he leads people; therefore it is right that we all strive.
Therefore, my beloved brother in Jesus Christ, do not cease to pray for me that he will give me the grace and strength to endure and to conquer the world, the devil and the flesh, and that he will give me humility, love and patience give to my neighbor.
12. He makes me confess my guilt and obey the confessor so that I may be able to get rid of myself and love only Jesus Christ alone. I want to hold everything to be true as the teaching of St. Mother Church corresponds because that is how I really and truly believe it. I do not drive any further here, but decide everything with my seal and my key.
13. My brother in Jesus Christ, it is enough for me to relax in writing to you, because I imagine speaking to you and letting you participate in my needs. I know that you feel it just as I could see from your works, because I have already been to this city twice, and you have welcomed me wonderfully and given me a lot of care. Our Lord Jesus Christ reward you in heaven for the good work you did for the poor and for me for his sake. Jesus Christ reward you. Amen, Jesus.
14. My brother in Christ, pass on my greetings to all your house and who are dear to you, to your beloved children, especially the schoolmaster, my beloved brother in the Lord, and also to the Bishop, my brother and father in Jesus Christ, to Doña Catalina, my hostess and sister in the Lord, and all others who are close to you. Amen, Jesus.
15. My brother in Jesus Christ, I am sending you this young man who has brought this letter with him, which relates to a young man from Malaga who died in this hospital and who bequeathed a certain inheritance to this house, and in the form of a vineyard or leased land, about which he will be able to give you better information, because he has taken over the negotiations from the beginning.
16. I want everything to be sold because I urgently need money, and now it yields little interest per year. Therefore, for the sake of the love of our Lord, if you know of someone who would be interested in buying it, sell it in such a way that whoever buys it has no loss, but neither does the poor lose anything, and everything as quickly as possible so that whoever brings this letter to you can come back with the money. He is a person I have a lot of trust in and who has all my power of attorney and all bonds.
17. Forgive me for trying so hard; one day this will give you rest in heaven. For the sake of the love of our Lord Jesus Christ, I entrust you with this trade, because with the money that he will bring in, I will be able to buy some clothes for the poor, so that they may pray to God for the soul of the donor, and for meat and To be able to pay for oil. They don't want to give me a loan anymore because I already owe so much. I can, however, put the creditors off by assuring them that money will soon be sent to me from Malaga.
18. I don't want to ask you for alms now, because I know that there are also many poor people there who have to be helped, but I ask our Lord, he will give you the salvation of your soul, because in this life full of misery and need, the right life is the key for those who know how to save themselves, and everything beyond that is nothing.
19. Your disobedient and little brother John of God, who, if God decides, wants to die, but always keep silent and hope in God, who desires the salvation of all like his own. Amen, Jesus.
Granada, January 8th, 1550
Download the letters to Gutiérrez Lasso
- What are some indicators of spiritual apathy
- Doctors invent drugs
- Why do some people not respect love?
- What are the sources of ethics
- What is special about classical music
- What does wedding band mean
- Who or what motivates a motivational speaker
- What is a defined benefit pension plan
- Vanuatu has an underwater post office
- George Orwell was a libertarian socialist
- Which is the best village in Haryana
- What does hello mean in Latin
- Is all of Kashmir against India
- Which is the best LuvStay or StayUncle
- What's your favorite dish in Maharashtria
- Why did my broken finger heal incorrectly
- What is the scope of CRM
- Will West Bengal ever change?
- Are astronauts paid
- What year will Islam take over Europe?
- How is Pakistan being destroyed by politics?
- Apathy can be a good thing
- Why do INFPs annoy people so often
- Which is the best fighter jet
- Is Jehovah's Name of God
- What is the biggest attraction in Romania
- Options for travel from New York to Boston
- Can inland countries survive
- What's new in Angular 6
- Should I study in South Africa
- Where's Nero
- How does Chandrababu Naidu rule Andhra Pradesh
- I find it difficult to get an answer to internships