Which makes my fingers twitch
Eye twitching: causes and what helps against it
Eye twitching can have various causes. Occasional eyelid twitching normally does not pose a health risk and often goes away on its own. However, there are symptoms for which it is better to consult a doctor.
What is eye twitching?
On average, the human eyelid closes and opens about 10 to 15 times per minute - mostly without our being aware of it. The blink of an eye - also known as blinking - is used to moisten and cleanse the eye. However, if the eyelid suddenly flutters and twitches very quickly and uncontrollably, one speaks of eye twitching or eyelid twitching.
The involuntary muscle twitching - known in technical jargon as "benign (benign) Fasciculations" - usually occur on one side on the right or left upper eyelid. Even if those affected perceive the twitches clearly and find them annoying, they are harmless and hardly visible from the outside. But what does it mean?
Eye twitching: possible causes
Eye twitching can have various causes. In most cases it isstress the trigger. In addition, situations that lead to a fatigue of the eyes, but not necessarily associated with stress, trigger eyelid twitches. This is not infrequently the case at work when the eye is exposed to the computer screen all day.
Another possible cause is oneMagnesium deficiency. Because if the body does not have enough magnesium available, the function of nerves and muscles is impaired. Muscle cramps are then the most common consequence - and these can occur in all muscles, including the eyelid. There is an increased need for magnesium, for example, during exercise or pregnancy.
In the rare case, a neurological disease on the eye, in the brain or on the nerves behind it. Then the signal transmission between nerves and muscles is disturbed, which can be expressed in twitching eyes. Eye twitching can also occur as part of a tic disorder.
An overview of the causes of eye twitching:
- Eye fatigue
- Magnesium deficiency
- neurological disease
- Tic disorder
Treatment: when to see a doctor?
Since the twitching is usually not permanent and stops after a while, most people do nothing about it. However, if the eye twitching persists for a few weeks in a row or maybe even worsens, you should definitely consult a doctor to clarify the cause. If a neurological disease is suspected, further examinations by a neurologist are recommended.
What can be done against twitching eyes?
Depending on the cause, there are different things you can do about eye twitches. Eye twitching can be relieved or prevented with the following measures:
- Rest breaks: If you sit in front of the computer all day, you should give your eyes a break from time to time, for example by looking out the window. It is also better to spend the evening in the fresh air or doing sports than in front of the television or smartphone.
- Magnesium: Make sure that your body gets enough magnesium through your diet so that communication between muscles and nerves works properly. There is a lot of magnesium in foods such as nuts, cocoa, beans and spinach. Especially if you do a lot of sport, are stressed or during pregnancy, a deficiency can quickly develop.
- Relaxation: If stress is the cause of the eye flutter, it is advisable to relax regularly with yoga and meditation. Autogenic training or psychotherapy can also help against persistent stress and psychological strain.
- Massages: Close your eyes and use your fingers to gently massage the eyelid. The relaxation of the muscles in the eye usually causes the twitching to subside.
- Exercises: Various exercises, such as rolling your eyes or raising your eyebrows, can help with eyelid twitching. They loosen and relax the eye muscles.
Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.
- Why am i human
- Why do people celebrate Mahaveer Jayanti
- How are human rights determined
- Can Narendra Modi ever like criticism
- Where is the best airport
- Will jump rope to build calf muscles
- What's going on in Karnataka
- Does Barkha Dutt have ties to ISI
- Which symbol best represents Gnosticism?
- Why don't more people leave good reviews
- What is Adie's student
- Make monkeys like humans
- How many Hindu gods are there in India
- What is your own definition of hate speech
- How fog is formed
- Can narcissists become famous people?
- What are some cool and unusual animals
- Which states are landlocked?
- Why was HBO's The Newsroom canceled
- How would you describe the perfect husband
- What are the important elements of Christianity
- What is the most appalling flight service
- What's your favorite Chinese website 1
- Did Jesus ever mention churches