Passports can be refused

Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office


The period of validity of the biometric passport is 6 years for applicants under the age of 24, otherwise 10 years. With the exception of the child passport, passports can be valid Not be extended. You need to apply for a new passport.

It can take between 4 and 6 weeks from the application to the receipt of the passport at the embassy. In urgent cases, there is the option of a passport with express delivery (2-4 weeks) or, in certain cases, a temporary passport valid for 1 year (note the restrictions, e.g. it does not entitle you to participate in the USA Visa Waiver Program) apply for.

To apply for a passport

Passports have to be applied for personally at the diplomatic mission and picked up there. The personal appearance of the applicant at the passport authority is required for electronic fingerprint capture and for the purpose of secure identification. The fingerprints will be deleted after the print job has been sent to Bundesdruckerei. Therefore fingerprints have to be taken again for each passport application.

Minors (including babies and toddlers) must also come to the embassy in person accompanied by their custodians (usually both parents).

The passport authority at your registered place of residence is primarily responsible for issuing passports.

If it is not possible to apply for a passport there (e.g. loss of passport, expiry, damage) or if it is unreasonable for you, e.g. in the event of prompt travel to a third country without returning to Germany beforehand, you can apply for a passport at the embassy.

In this case, the embassy will charge an additional non-competence fee for processing the application.

Please also note that the passport can only be issued if the relevant German registration authority has approved the passport. The embassy itself will obtain authorization to issue the passport. As a rule, this takes 1-2 days, in individual cases longer.

No, as a rule you will be refused entry or exit if you have a damaged passport. Please apply for a new passport. If your trip is imminent, you can apply for a 1-year temporary passport. This pass allows entry into most countries in the region (e.g. Japan, Taiwan, Thailand). However, the temporary passport does not entitle you to visa-free entry (visa waiver program) to the USA (including Guam, Saipan) or e.g. to Malaysia.

Please inform yourself about the entry requirements of your destination country before each trip. You can find guidance on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

If you are going to return to Germany directly, a travel document can also be issued to allow you to return. Note the information on lost passports.

You can apply for a new passport at the embassy. If your trip is imminent, you can apply for a 1-year temporary passport. This pass allows entry into most countries in the region (e.g. Japan, Taiwan, Thailand). However, the temporary passport does not entitle you to visa-free entry (visa waiver program) to the USA (including Guam, Saipan) or e.g. to Malaysia.

Please inform yourself about the entry requirements of your destination country before each trip. You can find guidance on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

Minors (including babies and toddlers) must come to the embassy in person, accompanied by their guardian (usually both parents). If one parent is unable to attend, he or she can authorize the other parent in writing to submit the application on their own (in this case, please present the passport or copy of the passport of the parent who is not present). The signature on the power of attorney must be notarized. In the case of sole custody, this must be proven in the original (e.g. divorce decree with transfer of custody, death certificate of the deceased parent).

Please check whether declarations regarding legal names for the child have to be submitted before submitting the application. If you are not sure whether you have to make a name declaration and if you have any further questions, please contact us using the contact form.

The documents to be submitted, as well as the application form, can usually be found here

All documents must be submitted in the original or as a certified copy.

When applying for the first passport (or children's passport), of course, no old passport has to be presented. In the case of newborns, there is no need to present an Alien Registration Card or a Korean passport.

Children's passports are fully valid passports that, unlike the biometric ePassport, do not contain a data chip (i.e. no digitized information about the passport holder, no digitized photo and no fingerprints).

Children's passports are valid for 1 year. The extension of the validity of the children's passport is also only possible for 1 year. However, the children's passport can only be valid up to the age of 12.

The children's passport is cheaper than the regular biometric passport and is printed directly in the embassy. It is usually the simpler alternative for registering the child and getting started in Korea. However, participation in the US Visa Waiver Program is not possible with this passport. If you already know when applying for a passport that you are planning to travel to the USA or you are going to other countries that do not accept children's passports, you should apply for a biometric passport.

Please also bear in mind that a child's passport is sometimes not recognized by other countries. So before you start a trip, you should find out in detail whether the child's passport is sufficient for transit and / or entry into a foreign country.

The child passport can be "updated" by attaching a new data page with a current photo and current information on size. The prerequisite is that the child is not yet 12 years old, the child pass is still valid and at least one double page is still free in the pass. Please make an appointment and come to the embassy with your child. Since the validity of the passport will not be changed, it is sufficient to apply when accompanied by a parent.

If you want to extend the validity of the passport, both parents must speak to the child.

The following documents must be submitted:

  • 1 fully completed passport application
  • 1 current passport photo, possibly with biometric capability, with a light background
  • the child pass to be changed
  • Parents passports

The prerequisite for the first application for a passport is that the German nationality and the name of the child are legally established.

You can find answers on the subject of "citizenship" in the relevant category.

In most cases, the child is a German citizen due to descent from a German parent. In the case of children born into an existing marriage, the parentage is already clear at birth. In other cases, an acknowledgment of paternity may have to be made. A detailed explanation can be found in the corresponding category.

The second important point is the naming. While parents are relatively free to give their first name, the surname is linked to certain legal provisions. In most cases, a passport application cannot be made without a “name declaration”. You can find information on this in the “Family Matters” category. If the parents have a common married name, the name has already been clarified (without further steps), because under German law the child automatically receives the parents' married name as the surname. In the case of first names, however, prior clarification may be required if the parents, under German law, want a different first name for the child than the one indicated in the documents.

If your child was born into an existing marriage, received German citizenship and you and your spouse share a married name, you can apply for a passport by submitting the relevant documents (see question about passports for minors).

In all other cases, different steps (at least a name declaration) may be necessary in advance. Please contact the consular department in advance.

No, you must submit the original of the birth certificate or a certified extract from the birth register to the embassy in order to apply. It doesn't matter how old this document is. Only documents that were issued in the former GDR can unfortunately no longer be accepted.

If you no longer have a birth certificate, you can apply for a new birth certificate at the registry office at your place of birth. Please inquire directly at the registry office how long the exhibition will last. The original of the birth certificate must be presented at the latest when collecting the passport.

In urgent cases, the following procedure is also conceivable: Please contact the responsible registry office and ask that the registry office send the embassy an extract from the birth register directly by fax or email.

If you already have a German passport, it is not necessary to present the original of the naturalization certificate.

If you need the naturalization certificate for other purposes or if you do not have any German identification documents, please contact the respective naturalization office in Germany if you lose the naturalization certificate. There you can request a duplicate of the document.

Issuing a second copy of the naturalization certificate usually costs between 20 and 30 euros. Since the naturalization that has already taken place must be proven, the process can take a few weeks to months.

In urgent cases, you can ask the competent authority to send a confirmation of naturalization directly to the embassy by fax (0082-2-748-4161 or via the Foreign Office 030-1817-67207).

For the passport procedure, it is sufficient if you can present a copy of the de-registration certificate. To confirm your de-registration, you can simply contact the registration office at your last German place of residence. A written confirmation of the cancellation is sufficient for the embassy, ​​which can also be sent directly to the embassy by fax (0082-2-748-4161 or via the Foreign Office 030-1817-67207).

If no de-registration certificate can be presented when applying for a passport, you must first pay the additional fee for the lack of jurisdiction. Refunds are possible provided that prior deregistration has actually been proven.

If you are staying in Korea for less than 90 days, have both German and Korean citizenship, or have applied for an Alien Registration Card but have not yet received it, you do not need to present it.

Please provide appropriate evidence, such as the immigration slip, Korean passport or confirmation of the application for the Alien Registration Card.

Proof of proof is only required if the child is also a Korean citizen. Here the legal residence status in Korea is proven by passport or Korean basic certificate.

However, you are obliged to state all nationalities and the reasons for their acquisition in the application. In addition, it may be necessary to submit the naturalization documents in individual cases.

Any German citizen can apply for a German passport. This is possible even if you have never had a German ID before. However, as part of the passport procedure, it must be established with certainty that you have actually acquired German citizenship, e.g. by descent from a German parent, and that you have not lost it again e.g. by joining foreign armed forces or naturalization abroad.

It is always a case-by-case examination. If you would like an assessment and would like to know which documents you have to submit, please contact the consular department using the contact form.

If the evidence is not sufficient to prove German citizenship beyond doubt, it may be necessary to apply for a so-called citizenship card. This is issued on request by the Federal Office of Administration (BVA). Further information can also be found in the "Citizenship" category.

If you live in Busan, Daegu, Pohang or Gyeongsangnam-do Province and have already received passports from the German embassy, ​​the application for a temporary passport or children's passport can be submitted to the office of the Honorary Consul in Busan. The processing and issuing of the pass takes place in Seoul. Biometric passports (ePassports) and ID cards cannot be applied for in Busan.

Please note that you may have to expect additional costs when applying in Busan, e.g. for confirming your identity and certifying your signature.