Did Donald Trump define modern fascism
is Professor of History at the New School for Social Research in New York. His main research interests are fascism in Latin America and Europe, their transnational connections and populism. He also writes regularly for international newspapers. In September 2017 his monograph "From Fascism to Populism in History" was published. [email protected]
As the historian Pablo Piccato and I recently pointed out, these historical links between fascism and populism can also illuminate our understanding of the present.  The comparison between Trumpism and fascism is made as everyday as it is deceptive. But it can also sharpen one's view: This makes clear the inevitable tensions between the claims of fascist and populist leaders to represent their nation as a whole and the procedural obstacles that democratic institutions mean for their project. Donald Trump is one of the most successful examples of how populism reformulates the old authoritarian premises of fascism in a democratic manner.
Populism is by no means new in America. Some of the first populist movements arose more than a century ago in the United States - including Russia and France, of course - as well as in Latin America. What is really new is that populism first gained power in the United States - and with it a decisive influence on world history. Although Trumpism is certainly a new phenomenon in politics, this is by no means true of the story behind Trump: On the one hand, there was right-wing opposition politics in the USA before, such as the reactionary, often racist presidential candidates Barry Goldwater, George Wallace and Pat Buchanan as well more recently the openly xenophobic tea party. On the other hand, it is important - on a global level - to take into account those processes that occur when populism becomes a form of rule in a state. In other words: what happens when nationalists, even xenophobes, make democratic politics? The result is an authoritarian approach to democracy that can be described as populist post-fascism.
- What would a fascist utopia look like?
- The main function is defined in the c language
- What do the British think of Iran
- Is spirituality for losers
- What is common decency
- How does an eye infection spread
- What is system software development
- What is your opinion on Barack Obama
- What do Estonians think of Russians?
- How many IITs are there in India
- Which is the best 7 seater off-road vehicle
- Where is the city of Lahore
- Where to Buy Methyl Alpha Cyanoacrylate
- Will Islam die out
- What are the main problems with teleportation
- What does the following HTML concept mean
- Does technology increase the prosperity gap 1
- Why did Modi praise Ambedkar
- Have Instagram stories destroyed Snapchat
- What's wrong with China's development
- Who Owns the BBC News
- Where to learn Chinese in Taiwan
- Manmohan Singh is an introvert
- What are uses of contact lenses