Should I marry an Indian
Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office
Marriage in Germany - Indian certificate of marriage eligibility
In Germany, marriages are only concluded at the registry office. Both fiancés must, among other things, submit a certificate of nobility from their home country.
For Indian nationals, however, the relevant Indian law does not provide a formal legal basis for issuing a certificate of marital status. In Chapter II, Sec. 4. the requirements that a person willing to marry must meet. The assessment of whether these requirements are met is the responsibility of either the responsible Indian registry office (Registrar of Marriages) or the responsible local court (magistrate). However, not all Indian states issue such a certificate. It is also not based on personal registers, as is the case in Germany. Therefore, please always ask your responsible registry office in individual cases which documents you need to present. If necessary, an application for an exemption from providing the certificate of marital status must be submitted.
This information is based on our previous knowledge and experience. No guarantee can be given for the completeness and correctness, in particular due to changes that have occurred in the meantime.
Marriage in India
You can no longer conclude marriages in the German diplomatic missions abroad.
Marriages concluded in India under Indian law are generally recognized in Germany if they meet all the legal requirements of the respective home country of the engaged couple (e.g. minimum age requirements).
In India you can get married under civil law on the one hand and according to various religious traditions on the other hand:
- according to the 'Hindu Marriage Act' in the temple, if both betrothed are Hindus at the time of the marriage,
- according to the 'Christian Marriage Act' in the church, if at least one of the betrothed is a Christian and the other betrothed is not a Hindu within the meaning of the Hindu Marriage Act,
- according to 'Muslim tradition' in the mosque, if both fiancés are Muslims,
- according to the 'Special Marriage Act' in the registry office, for all other constellations.
Please contact the relevant Indian authorities to inquire about the documents and procedures required for your wedding.
Please note that different religious affiliations of the engaged couple in certain cases mean that a religious marriage ceremony remains ineffective. A civil marriage under the Special Marriage Act (Section 13 Special Marriage Act), on the other hand, generally leads to an effective marriage if the personal marriage requirements are met by both fiancés. The registration of a previously ineffective religious marriage with the registry office under the Special Marriage Act (Section 16 Special Marriage Act) does not lead to the subsequent effectiveness of the marriage.
You may be asked to submit a so-called. "No objection certificate - NOC"issued by the German diplomatic mission abroad. You can obtain this document, which confirms that you are fit to marry and that your diplomatic mission has agreed to your wedding, for a consular fee of € 25 (payable in rupees). The prerequisite for this, however, is the submission of a current German certificate of marital status, which you apply for at the responsible registry office in Germany and which you must present to us together with your passport. We will issue the NOC to you immediately.
In any case, have your marriage registered with the responsible Indian registry office and issue a formal marriage certificate with a registration number.
The embassy also recommends having your Indian wedding certified at the German registry office responsible for you. This is also how you get a German marriage certificate. Please contact your responsible German diplomatic mission for further information.
additional information can be found in the leaflet of the Federal Administration Office "Germans get married in India": leaflet "Germans get married in India
The information is based on our previous knowledge and experience. No guarantee can be given for the completeness and correctness, in particular due to changes that have occurred in the meantime.
- What is the Hindi meaning of nightingale
- Koreans are descendants of the Mongolian race
- Where do farmers sell their products
- Is DTU better than some IITs
- Why is Alcoa stock falling
- Why do I limit myself
- Are anti-vaccine fears medically justified?
- What is the population of Edinburgh Scotland
- What is 3 out of 50
- What is the most successful song by The Goombas
- Is there any consciousness other than object consciousness
- What is the Hindi meaning of nightingale
- Why do you think immigration should end?
- Why don't the people of Sudan revolt?
- Why do some people not respect love?
- What is ERS in HCL
- Can Pakistan destroy India if necessary
- What is the New Zealand Rifle Manifesto
- Is the Patriot Act unconstitutional
- How do companies benefit from SAP HANA
- What does someone mean in church
- Where don't babies come from?
- Why do koi fish eat goldfish
- Are spirit guides evil
- Is Russia really that big?
- What makes an animal a pet
- How do I start with astrophysics
- What are the symptoms of hemorrhoids
- What is the power of vulnerability
- Is it possible to meet Jessica Alba
- Passionate talent in entrepreneurship
- What's the best Disney soundtrack
- How are the internships at RNSIT