How was a Jimi Hendrix concert
Did you know that …?
Part 5: Jimi Hendrix ’last concert.
A (musical) historical anecdote by Dieter Katz.
One year after Woodstock, they wanted to put on a similarly legendary concert in Europe with the Love & Peace Festival on Fehmarn. But in terms of organization, this concert went down in the annals of music history as a huge flop. It was also a financial disaster. After Joan Baez's cancellation, all hopes rested on rock legend Jimi Hendrix.
From September 4 to 6, 1970, Frumpy, Ginger Baker, The Faces (with Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood), Canned Heat and Jimi Hendrix played on the meadow at Flügger Strand. But the constant rain overwhelmed the organizers, and the sharp Baltic wind tore the music apart. In addition, 180 rockers from the Hamburg Hells Angels caused a lot of trouble, contrary to the motto Love & Peace. They forced their motorbikes to be filled with fuel for free, fought brawls with hippies and stewards, collected their alcohol supplies from the peaceful festival visitors for the purpose of self-sufficiency, forced or threatened the festival management to hire them themselves as stewards and, to make matters worse, made a campfire on the cold night in front of the stage, which was fired with stage boards.
An unforgettable experience in the chaos of wild camping
Nevertheless, the chaos of wild camping in the pouring rain without enough food, drinks and toilets was an unforgettable experience for the 25,000 hippies who had arrived. Because here on the late Sunday morning of September 6, 1970, her idol Jimi Hendrix performed and delighted the crowd for 75 minutes. There was something mystical about the performance for many. Because at the moment when Hendrix came on stage, after two and a half days of continuous rain and storm, the sun stepped through the dark cloud cover. It was the master's last appearance, and it was at the height of his career. A few days later, Hendrix died in London of alcohol and pill poisoning.
To commemorate this event, there is a Jimi Hendrix memorial stone on Flügger Strand today, on which an electric guitar is carved in its original size. On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the festival in 1995, people went back to the concert tradition. Since then, a Jimi Hendrix Revival Festival has been held every year on the first Saturday in September on Flügger Strand, "for free and outside," as the official title of the event says.
Did you also know that there are no moles on Fehmarn (page 20), the oldest model ship in Germany hangs in the Landkirchen St. Petri Church (page 130), Germany's smallest airport is in Neujellingsdorf (page 134), the flat island with it Germany's highest free climbing facility is an Eldorado for climbers (page 54), Burg is one of the oldest urban settlements in Schleswig-Holstein (page 85), Germany's largest tropical aquarium is located in Burg (page 93), and there are seals and gray seals in the Baltic Sea and harbor porpoises (page 22) and there are chicken gods on Fehmarn (page 102)?
Answers and lots of practical travel tips can be found in Dieter Katz's “Fehmarn” travel guide.
Fehmarn travel guideAn ideal destination for Journeys of discovery on the doorstep is the island of Fehmarn in Schleswig-Holstein. It is "refreshingly normal", but "amazingly varied". This is what our author Dieter Katz wrote in the fifth edition of the 2016 ITB Book Award excellent travel guide »Fehmarn«. From Burg to Puttgarden, from Staberhuk to Flügge: Discover on 216 pages with 127 color photos shows the whole beauty of the diverse and colorful third largest German Baltic Sea island.
- Why can't India produce like China?
- What are some treatments for double vision
- Why are all the hot girls taken
- Hate Sikhs Banda Singh Bahadur
- Politics is more complicated than you think
- Freedom of speech is above the law
- Who makes Kirkland American Vodka
- Is Asia Bibi Pakistan's Dreyfus Affaere
- What do you mean by underwriting?
- Can I learn calligraphy online
- India should learn from China
- How does sedimentary rock differ from the ground
- Why should one support Hindutva?
- What is the story of Telangana
- Samoan is a wrong language
- Is Rajnikanth Madras or Marathi
- Why are my classmates bullying me
- Have you ever taken vengeance on anyone?
- The RBI gives loans to the government
- How does Chinese tea taste
- Can black people join the KKK?
- How can someone apply for a UK visa
- What are the best tips for organization
- How does the Job Corps pay
- What are the basic beliefs of "liberal democracy"
- Why was Tito so popular in Yugoslavia
- Is morally absolutely to be stolen
- How much do you miss your parents
- Why do bad things happen
- How to Learn Telugu Faster
- What are the benefits of studying abroad
- Why are beeswax candles better
- What is a famous helical cable bridge