Can i eat apple

Can you eat an apple with a moldy core without hesitation?

Yes. At least that's what the food chemists at the Chemical and Veterinary Investigation Office in Stuttgart told me. If it is really only a question of mold in the core housing, then it is sufficient to cut out the housing generously; you can still eat the rest of the apple - provided you still like the apple, but it's not bad for your health. It is different if the apple has already started to rot around the mold - which you would then see. Then one can assume that the harmful fungal toxins have already spread more strongly in the pulp. But if only this white fluff shows up in the casing when you cut it, that's not a problem with the apple. It's different with bread: if it becomes moldy somewhere, you shouldn't eat it any more.

How does the mold even get into the core housing? Food usually molds on the outside: lemons, for example ...

The weak point in the apple is the so-called calyx opening on the underside - that is, opposite the stem. Sometimes there is also a white “fluff” of mold there. The opening in the calyx is the place where the apple blossom still hung in spring. And it can happen - especially if it has rained a lot - that mold spores adhere to the petals. When the blossom falls off, these can still hang on the underside of the apple and migrate inwards via the calyx opening. If the apple is then stored for a longer period of time, the mold grows and at some point is so big that you can see it when you cut the apple open. And mostly the apple actually starts to mold and rot on the underside, at the lower end of the core casing.