What is the meaning of temples
A temple is a holy house for a religion. There you worship one or more gods, or you do something else that is important for religion. There are temples in many different countries and religions.
The word comes from Latin. What is meant is a demarcated place. While you do everyday things elsewhere, this place is there for the special. For the Greeks, the temple was the house where an image of the god was kept.
What is a temple for?
What all temples have in common is that they are used for prayer. Hindu and Buddhist temples often include a monastery or school. There is no longer a temple in Judaism; the last one was destroyed in AD 70. With Christians there are only churches, but no temples. In the Catholic churches there is only the altar as a remnant from the temple.
Animals were often sacrificed in the temple. The animal was slaughtered and part of it was burned. The burned part was for the gods. The rest was eaten together or given to the poor. This is known from the Jews, the ancient Greeks and the Romans and from many other cultures and religions.
With a sacrifice, people wanted to give the gods a present and ask them to protect the city and the people. They also wanted to show that, thanks to the gods, we are so well off that we can afford to burn meat. Often it was also about reconciling God with people. So people wanted to clear the table with God again after doing something that he didn't like.
There are also other search results for “Temple” from Blind Cow and Ask Finn.
- What role do young professionals play
- What was a dark moment in history
- What happened to Christopher Crawford
- Picasso was always bad at drawing
- A government is using big data today
- What use is the spiritual life
- Why MongoDB is called MongoDB
- Is an iMac good for gaming?
- Introverts are straight forward
- Can ISFJ be a leader
- Why do some Australians emigrate?
- Who is the Ahmadiyya community
- What is your experience with Flexjobs com
- Do you understand Kant's philosophy
- Make simulation hypotheses any prediction
- What are the causes of teenage rebellion?
- Is acne unattractive to adolescent boys
- What is the free baggage allowance for Emirates
- What is happening in the government of Karnataka
- What are both wants and needs
- What is SIC code
- What are the disadvantages of air travel
- What are the secrets for world domination