Who founded the Sikh religion
If you see someone with a turban in Germany, he or she is almost certainly a Sikh and belongs to the Sikhi religious community. The Sikhi is an independently recognized religion with its own traditions, identifying features and holy scriptures.
The religion has its origin in India
The word 'Sikh' means 'student' and comes from the Sanskrit language. Today most Sikhs speak Punjabi. The Punjabi language is spoken in northern India. There the religion of the Sikhs was founded in the 15th century. Most of the world's more than 30 million Sikhs live in Panjab, India. Many of them also live in North America or Great Britain. There are around 30,000 Sikhs in Germany.
The Sikhs believe in a god called 'Waheguru'. He has no form and is neither man nor woman. According to Sikhi teaching, all people are the same - regardless of their gender, origin or religion.
The Sikh identity
All devout Sikhs have very long hair. They do not cut their hair as they see their body as part of God's creation. According to the Sikhi, it is perfect and should not be changed. That is why cutting your hair or shaving your beard is taboo. The uncut hair is worn by both male and female Sikhs under an artfully tied turban, also called a dastar. Twice a day the Sikhs comb their hair with a wooden comb, the kanga. This is one of the religious characteristics of the Sikhi, just like the kachha, the white cotton shorts that are worn under clothing like underwear. In addition, all Sikhs wear a karha, the iron bracelet. The kirpan, a small sword worn by devout Sikhs, is also special. This symbolizes the defense of the weak and innocent.
On Saturdays or Sundays, the Sikhs meet in Gurdwara, the community center. Here they pray and sing together. Then there is the langar, a free meal. Everyone is allowed to eat - including people of other religions. You sit together on the floor and there are vegetarian dishes.
The world's largest langar takes place in the great Golden Temple in Amritsar, India. Over 100,000 people are supplied with food here every day. Everyone who cooks, distributes food and does the dishes here do it on a voluntary basis, i.e. voluntarily and without payment.
Same surnames for women and men
Many Sikhs share the same surname as an expression of brotherhood. Men’s last name is Singh, which means lion. The women's last name is Kaur, which stands for princess.
Status: 04/12/2021, 12:27 p.m.
- Self-esteem is an advantage
- What's in medicine after the 10th.
- Why do people feel focused after masturbation?
- Will Harry Styles ever publish Medicine
- Is Google's Panda Update good or bad
- What is human evolution
- What should be packed for TCS ILP
- What are considered nontraditional recruiting strategies
- Abraham was originally a Hindu Brahmin
- What does CFR
- Is MGR good or bad
- Why do people think religion is bad
- Why is the JEE network so hard
- Who are the Marxists
- How can anyone really learn to code
- When will America properly adopt democracy?
- Can lawyers be presidents?
- What is the most popular VR game
- Can Luffy move up to fifth gear
- Is Led Zeppelin totally overrated
- What is LAF RBI
- What percentage of Americans watch cricket?
- What are the real motives of politicians
- Are evil narcissists sociopaths or psychopaths