Protest is useful
Students protest against savings plans in education
According to media reports, tens of thousands of schoolchildren and students have demonstrated in many cities in Brazil against the planned cuts by the right-wing populist government in education. In Porto Alegre, the capital Brasília and in Rio de Janeiro, there were clashes between demonstrators and the police during the protests that lasted for hours on Wednesday, as reported by the Uol portal. The officers used tear gas to break up the crowd. But nobody was injured. President Jair Bolsonaro, who has been in office since January, called the demonstrators "useful idiots".
They are "maneuvering mass" of a minority of know-it-alls who form the core of many universities, said the ex-military in the United States, where he was on his second visit since taking office. "They don't even know the chemical formula of the water or how much 7x8 is," Bolsonaro said, looking at the demonstrators.
The new education minister Abraham Weintraub recently announced the savings plans. Among other things, around two billion reals (around 445 million euros) in higher education - both schools and universities - could be eliminated, as the broadcaster BBC Brasil reported.
In many schools and universities, classes and lectures were canceled due to the protests on Wednesday, and professors and some parties were reportedly involved in the demonstrations. According to the organizers, around 50,000 people took to the streets in Salvador da Bahia in the northeast of the country alone, as reported by the "Globo" portal. In Rio Grande in the south of Brazil, there were around 20,000 demonstrators.
- Why does the same motorcycle sound different?
- How much is Naya Rivera worth
- How do I apply for social security
- Where should I take an IFRS course
- How do food companies cheat us?
- Depression can keep you from loving someone
- Love to wear your glasses
- How does Filipino culture affect society
- What are the basic beliefs of "liberal democracy"
- Is Lufthansa a safe aircraft?
- What were Japan's military strengths and weaknesses
- Find Quora useful 1
- Why are brahmin Muslim marriages so common?
- How will we see Pakistan in 2023
- Why are people naturally hypocritical
- How can I afford a Japanese language school?
- Should I delete my ex-photos
- Golden Dawn is a neo-Nazi organization
- Social TV is the next big megatrend
- Which Blackpink member do you like
- How do I get to the Kumbhalgarh Fort
- Which is better AIIMS Bhopal or MAMC
- Who created God 4
- Will Vidarba part with Maharashtra